Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 610. Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations

12VAC5-610-560. Sewage handling; general.

A. In accordance with 12VAC5-610-240 B, a sewage handler shall have a written sewage handling permit issued by the commissioner.

B. It is the obligation of every sewage handler to assure that the sewage, sludge or septage handled are transported and disposed of in a safe and sanitary manner in conformance with this chapter. Treatment and management of sewage and sewage sludge are regulated by the Sewage Regulations (12VAC5-580-10 et seq.).

C. All sewage handling equipment in contact with sewage shall be washed in such a manner and location that the wastewater from washing it is conveyed to an approved sewerage system or treatment works.

D. Disposal of sewage sludges or septage into bodies of water or streams is prohibited.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-164 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-34-02 § 3.12, eff. February 5, 1986; amended, eff. May 11, 1988; Virginia Register Volume 16, Issue 16, eff. July 1, 2000.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.