Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 610. Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations

12VAC5-610-600. General.

Article 5
Installation of Residential Sewage Disposal Systems in Political Subdivisions Having Soil Drainage Management Contracts with the State Health Department

It is the policy of the department to grant sewage disposal system permits for private residential systems utilizing subsurface soil absorption whenever such permits can be granted without endangering public health. Many soils are limited in their ability to accept sewage by high seasonal water tables. Some soils can accept sewage when an adequate local plan for soil drainage exists. When a political subdivision enters into a Soil Drainage Management Contract with the department and subsequently develops Soil Drainage Management Plan(s) in an area in which soils respond to artificial drainage and the plan is acceptable to the department, the department will consider the approval of subsurface soil absorption systems in soils that were previously unacceptable because of high seasonal water tables.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-164 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-34-02 § 3.16, eff. February 5, 1986; amended, eff. May 11, 1988.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.