Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 610. Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations

12VAC5-610-80. Sewerage systems and/or treatment works required.

A. The discharge of untreated sewage onto the land or into the waters of the Commonwealth is prohibited.

B. No owner, person, or occupant shall discharge treated or untreated sewage onto the land, into the soil or into the waters of the Commonwealth without a valid permit from the commissioner or, as appropriate, a certificate issued by the Department of Environmental Quality in accordance with Title 62.1 of the Code of Virginia.

C. All buildings, residences, and structures designed for human occupancy, employment or habitation and other places where humans congregate shall be served by an approved sewerage system and/or treatment works. An approved sewerage system or treatment works is a system for which a certificate to operate has been issued jointly by the department and the Department of Environmental Quality or a system which has been issued a separate permit by the commissioner.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-164 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-34-02 § 1.8, eff. February 5, 1986; amended, eff. May 11, 1988; Virginia Register Volume 16, Issue 16, eff. July 1, 2000.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.