Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 13. Housing
Agency 5. Department of Housing And Community Development
Chapter 51. Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code

13VAC5-51-144.5. IFC Chapter 33 Fire Safety During Construction and Demolition.

Make the following changes to Chapter 33:

1. Change Section 3308.9 to read:

3308.9 Fire safety for buildings of Types IV-A, IV-B, and IV-C construction. Buildings of Types IV-A, IV-B, and IV-C construction designed to be greater than six stories above grade plane shall comply with the following:

1. Standpipes provided in accordance with the applicable building code shall be maintained.

2. A water supply for fire department operations, as approved by the fire code official and the fire chief.

2. Change Section 3314.1 to read:

3314.1 Completion before occupancy. In buildings where an automatic sprinkler system is required by this code or the applicable building code, the building, or portion thereof, shall not be occupied until the automatic sprinkler system has been tested and approved, except where approved by the building official.

Statutory Authority

§ 27-97 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 34, Issue 18, eff. October 16, 2018; amended, Virginia Register Volume 37, Issue 14, eff. July 1, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.