Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 14. Insurance
Agency 5. State Corporation Commission, Bureau of Insurance
Chapter 170. Rules Governing Minimum Standards for Medicare Supplement Policies

14VAC5-170-190. Appropriateness of recommended purchase and excessive insurance.

A. In recommending the purchase or replacement of any Medicare supplement policy or certificate an agent shall make reasonable efforts to determine the appropriateness of a recommended purchase or replacement.

B. Any sale of a Medicare supplement policy or certificate that will provide an individual more than one Medicare supplement policy or certificate is prohibited.

C. An issuer shall not issue a Medicare supplement policy or certificate to an individual enrolled in Medicare Part C unless the effective date of the coverage is after the termination date of the individual's Part C coverage.

Statutory Authority

§§ 12.1-13 and 38.2-223 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Regulation 35, Case No. INS920112, § 20, eff. July 30, 1992; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 25, eff. August 15, 2005.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.