Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 18. Professional And Occupational Licensing
Agency 115. Board of Counseling
Chapter 50. Regulations Governing the Practice of Marriage and Family Therapy

18VAC115-50-40. Application for licensure by endorsement.

A. Every applicant for licensure by endorsement shall hold or have held a marriage and family license in another jurisdiction in the United States and shall submit:

1. A completed application;

2. The application processing and initial licensure fee prescribed in 18VAC115-50-20;

3. Documentation of licensure as follows:

a. Verification of all mental health or health professional licenses or certificates ever held in any other jurisdiction. In order to qualify for endorsement, the applicant shall have no unresolved action against a license or certificate. The board will consider history of disciplinary action on a case-by-case basis; and

b. Documentation of a marriage and family therapy license obtained by standards specified in subsection B of this section;

4. Verification of a passing score on a marriage and family therapy licensure examination in the jurisdiction in which licensure was obtained;

5. An affidavit of having read and understood the regulations and laws governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in Virginia; and

6. A current report from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB).

B. Every applicant for licensure by endorsement shall meet one of the following:

1. Educational requirements consistent with those specified in 18VAC115-50-50 and 18VAC115-50-55 and experience requirements consistent with those specified in 18VAC115-50-60;

2. If an applicant does not have educational and experience credentials consistent with those required by this chapter, he shall provide:

a. Documentation of education and supervised experience that met the requirements of the jurisdiction in which he was initially licensed as verified by an official transcript and a certified copy of the original application materials; and

b. Evidence of clinical practice as a marriage and family therapist for 24 of the last 60 months immediately preceding his licensure application in Virginia. Clinical practice shall mean the rendering of direct clinical services in marriage and family therapy or clinical supervision of marriage and family services; or

3. In lieu of transcripts verifying education and documentation verifying supervised experience, the board may accept verification from the credentials registry of the American Association of State Counseling Boards or any other board-recognized entity.

Statutory Authority

§ 54.1-2400 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 13, Issue 19, eff. July 9, 1997; amended, Virginia Register Volume 16, Issue 7, eff. January 19, 2000; Volume 16, Issue 13, eff. April 12, 2000; Volume 24, Issue 24, eff. September 3, 2008; Volume 25, Issue 20, eff. July 23, 2009; Volume 25, Issue 24, eff. September 2, 2009; Errata, 25:25 VA.R. 4446-4447 August 17, 2009; amended, Virginia Register Volume 26, Issue 1, eff. October 14, 2009; Volume 32, Issue 24, eff. August 24, 2016.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.