Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 18. Professional And Occupational Licensing
Agency 80. Board For Hearing Aid Specialists And Opticians
Chapter 30. Opticians Regulations

18VAC80-30-130. Contact lens standards.

To fit contact lenses, the following shall be done:

1. The prescription (RX) must show evidence that contact lenses may be worn by the patient before the prescription can be filled by the licensed optician. Verbal approval from the optometrist or ophthalmologist or its agents or employees is acceptable. The licensed optician must make a notation in the patient's record of the name of the authorizing optometrist or ophthalmologist and the date of the authorization.

2. The optician must use all the following to fit contact lenses:

a. Slit Lamp;

b. Keratometer; and

c. Standardized Snellen type acuity chart.

Statutory Authority

§ 54.1-201 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Former 18VAC100-20-87 derived from Virginia Register Volume 17, Issue 9, eff. March 1, 2001; amended and renumbered as 18VAC80-30-130, Virginia Register Volume 28, Issue 23, eff. August 15, 2012.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.