Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 2. Agriculture
Agency 5. Department of Agriculture And Consumer Services
Chapter 150. Rules and Regulations Governing the Transportation of Companion Animals

2VAC5-150-90. Primary enclosures for dogs and cats.

1. Dogs and cats shall be transported in a manner that during air transit the following animal or group of animals shall have its own primary enclosure:

a. A dog over six months of age;

b. A cat over six months of age;

c. A puppy weighing over 20 pounds;

d. Two kittens eight weeks to six months of age and weighing less than 20 pounds each;

e. Two puppies eight weeks to six months of age and weighing less than 20 pounds each;

f. Litter mates less than eight weeks of age accompanied by their dam.

2. During surface transit, a maximum of 12 dogs or cats shall share a primary enclosure, provided that subdivisions 7 and 12 of 2VAC5-150-30 are met; and

3. Any aggressive dog or cat, irrespective of age and size, shall have its own primary enclosure.

Statutory Authority

§ 3.2-6501 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR115-02-13 § 2.7, eff. May 13, 1987.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.