Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 2. Agriculture
Agency 5. Department of Agriculture And Consumer Services
Chapter 20. Standards for Classification of Real Estate As Devoted to Agricultural Use and to Horticultural Use under the Virginia Land Use Assessment Law

2VAC5-20-40. Certification procedures.

A. Documentation. The commissioner of the revenue or the local assessing officer may require the applicant to document what the applicant must certify pursuant to 2VAC5-20-20 and 2VAC5-20-30. The commissioner of the revenue or local assessing officer may find one of the following documents useful in making his determination:

1. The assigned USDA/Farm Service Agency farm number and evidence of participating in a federal farm program;

2. Federal tax forms (1040F) Farm Expenses and Income, (4835) Farm Rental Income and Expenses, or (1040E) Cash Rent for Agricultural Land;

3. A conservation farm management plan prepared by a professional;

4. Documentation demonstrating that the real estate sought to be qualified currently is devoted to the bona fide production for sale of one of the requirements in 2VAC5-20-20 A 1 through A 6; or

5. Documentation demonstrating that the real estate sought to be qualified currently is devoted to and meeting the requirements and qualifications for payments or other compensation pursuant to a soil and water conservation program under an agreement with a federal government or state government agency.

B. Interpretation of standards. In cases of uncertainty on the part of the commissioner of the revenue or the local assessing officer, the law authorizes him to request an opinion from the Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services as to whether a particular property meets the criteria for agricultural or horticultural classification. The procedure for obtaining such an opinion is as follows:

1. The commissioner of the revenue or the local assessing officer shall address a letter to the Commissioner, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, P.O. Box 1163, Richmond, Virginia 23218, describing the use and situation, and requesting an opinion of whether the real estate qualifies as agricultural or horticultural real estate for the purpose of use-value taxation. The letter should include the following:

a. Owner's name and address.

b. Operator's name and address.

c. Total number of acres, acres in crops, acres in pastures, acres in a federal or state soil and water conservation program, and acres in forest.

d. If more than one tract of real estate, the number of acres in each tract and whether the tracts are contiguous.

e. A copy of the application for land use assessment taxation.

2. The commissioner may request additional information, if needed, directly from the applicant or hold a hearing at which the applicant and others may present additional information.

3. The commissioner will issue an opinion as soon as possible after all necessary information has been received.

Statutory Authority

§ 58.1-3230 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR115-01-02 § 3, eff. November 23, 1988; amended, Virginia Register Volume 22, Issue 11, eff. March 10, 2006; Volume 37, Issue 2, eff. October 15, 2020.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.