Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 2. Agriculture
Agency 5. Department of Agriculture And Consumer Services
Chapter 685. Regulations Governing Pesticide Applicator Certification under Authority of Virginia Pesticide Control Act

2VAC5-685-20. General requirements for certification.

A. The following persons must be certified as pesticide applicators:

1. Commercial applicators;

2. Registered technicians; and

3. Private applicators.

B. Commercial applicators not for hire must be certified only when using any pesticide in the following areas except as noted in subsection C of this section:

1. Areas open to the general public at daycare facilities, educational institutions, health care facilities, and convalescent facilities;

2. Areas where open food is stored, processed, or sold; and

3. Recreational lands over five acres in size.

C. Employees of local, state, and federal governmental agencies who use or supervise the use of any pesticide on any area in the performance of their official duties must be certified as either commercial applicators not for hire or registered technicians, but they are exempt from any certification fees.

D. All persons desiring certification as pesticide applicators must:

1. Complete board-approved training appropriate for the desired classification;

2. Submit a completed application to the commissioner; and

3. Pass required examination or examinations. Applicants who do not pass the examination and who request reexamination must resubmit a completed application to the commissioner or his duly authorized agent and pay the nonrefundable applicator certification fee as determined by 2VAC5-675, Regulations Governing Pesticide Fees Charged by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

E. Persons with a history of repeat violations of federal or state pesticide laws or whose certification or pesticide business license has been revoked within the two-year period immediately prior to application are not eligible for certification. Such persons may appear before the board to show why they should be granted certification as outlined under provisions of § 3.2-3940 E of the Code of Virginia.

F. Applicants for certification cannot engage in the activity for which they are requesting certification, unless participating in supervised direct on-site training, until certification has been issued by the commissioner. Commercial applicators may not apply pesticides in any category or subcategory activity until they have passed the category-specific examination and obtained the appropriate certification.

G. A commercial or private applicator or registered technician may request a duplicate of the certification card if the applicator's or technician's card has been lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed.

Statutory Authority

§ 3.2-3906 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Former 2VAC20-51-20, derived from Virginia Register Volume 15, Issue 11, eff. March 17, 1999; amended, Virginia Register Volume 25, Issue 3, eff. December 1, 2008; amended and renumbered as 2VAC5-685-20, Virginia Register Volume 29, Issue 1, eff. October 10, 2012; Volume 32, Issue 26, eff. September 22, 2016.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.