Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 20. Public Utilities And Telecommunications
Agency 5. State Corporation Commission
Chapter 401. Rules Governing the Provision of Network Interface Devices

20VAC5-401-20. Simple one- or two-line installations in single or duplex residence or business structures.

A. All wiring on the customer's premises that is connected to the telephone network shall connect to the telephone company network through the telephone company-provided NID.

B. Maintenance of the NID shall be the responsibility of the telephone company that installed the NID.

C. 1. The NID used for the termination of CPW shall be located outside the customer premises unless an outside location is impractical or the customer requests that it be located inside the premises.

2. When the NID is located inside the premises, it shall be located at a point closest to the protector that is convenient to the customer. Any additional cost associated with placing the NID inside when requested by the customer shall be at customer expense.

D. The telephone company shall instruct the customer as to the location, purpose and use of the NID.

Statutory Authority

§ 12.1-13 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 4, eff. October 17, 2001.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.