Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 22. Social Services
Agency 40. Department of Social Services
Chapter 35. Virginia Independence Program

22VAC40-35-30. Cooperation in establishing paternity.

A. As a condition of eligibility, the caretaker-relative shall cooperate, as defined in 22VAC40-35-20, with the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) and the local department of social services in establishing paternity.

B. If the caretaker-relative does not cooperate, the adult portion of the grant shall be denied or terminated until the individual has disclosed the required information.

C. If, after six months of receipt of TANF, paternity has not been established and the local department determines that the caretaker-relative is not cooperating in establishing paternity, the local department shall terminate the entire grant for a minimum of one month and until cooperation has been achieved. An individual whose TANF case was terminated due to such noncooperation must cooperate and file a new application for TANF to receive further benefits.

Statutory Authority

§ 63.2-217 of the Code of Virginia; 45 CFR 261.22.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 12, Issue 15, eff. July 1, 1996; amended, Virginia Register Volume 30, Issue 20, eff. July 18, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.