Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 22. Social Services
Agency 40. Department of Social Services
Chapter 35. Virginia Independence Program

22VAC40-35-90. Services.

A. The participant shall have the primary responsibility to arrange transportation to be employed or participate in activities required by the Agreement of Personal Responsibility. Transportation shall be provided only when the participant is unable to make the necessary arrangements.

B. The local departments may provide those services itemized in § 63.2-611 B of the Code of Virginia.

C. Transitional employment and training services shall be through the VIEW program to certain individuals.

1. Transitional employment and training services can be provided if the following criteria are met:

a. The individual is already employed or the provisions of the employment and training services would allow the individual to become reemployed within 60 days.

b. The activities are designed to maintain employment income, increase employment income or prevent the loss of employment income by the participant.

c. The individual had been enrolled in the VIEW program.

d. The TANF case of which the individual was a member is closed.

e. The case had not been in a VIEW sanction at the time of closure.

f. The individual has not completed an associate degree or four-year degree.

2. The individual can only receive up to 12 months of transitional employment and training services available through the VIEW program.

3. The individual shall enroll in an activity which can be completed within the 12-month time period.

4. An individual can only be enrolled in an activity if approved by a VIEW employment services worker.

5. Individuals may be enrolled only in education and training activities for which there are jobs in the community or jobs are projected to become available in the community.

6. Continued enrollment in education and skills training activities is dependent upon meeting the satisfactory progress requirements for participation in these activities.

a. For education below the post-secondary level (Adult Basic Education and General Equivalency Diploma), the individual must obtain one grade level increase every three months.

b. For certificate and job skills training activities, the participant must meet the satisfactory progress requirements of the institution providing the training.

7. Participants shall not be assigned to FEP (Full Employment Program).

D. A VIEW participant shall be eligible for a transitional job retention assistance payment of $50 per month for up to one year after the end of TANF cash assistance. To qualify the participant shall:

1. Be employed at the end of TANF cash assistance;

2. Maintain employment of at least 30 hours per week; and

3. Provide verification of earnings and continued employment of at least 30 hours per week.

Statutory Authority

§ 63.2-217 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 12, Issue 15, eff. July 1, 1996; amended, Virginia Register Volume 17, Issue 10, eff. February 28, 2001; Volume 23, Issue 23, eff. September 1, 2007; Volume 25, Issue 19, eff. July 1, 2009.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.