Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 22. Social Services
Agency 40. Department of Social Services
Chapter 73. Standards for Licensed Assisted Living Facilities

22VAC40-73-1020. Staffing.

A. When residents are present, there shall be at least two direct care staff members awake and on duty at all times in each building who shall be responsible for the care and supervision of the residents.

B. The requirements of subsection A of this section do not apply to assisted living facilities that are licensed for 10 or fewer residents if not more than three of the residents have serious cognitive impairments. The staffing provisions of 22VAC40-73-280 D apply.

C. During trips away from the facility, there shall be sufficient direct care staff to provide sight and sound supervision to all residents who cannot recognize danger or protect their own safety and welfare.

Statutory Authority

§§ 63.2-217, 63.2-1732, 63.2-1802, 63.2-1805, and 63.2-1808 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 34, Issue 6, eff. February 1, 2018; amended, Virginia Register Volume 34, Issue 24, eff. August 23, 2018.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.