Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 15. Department of Wildlife Resources
Chapter 270. Game: Firearms

4VAC15-270-40. Shooting or carrying rifle or pistol over public inland waters.

It shall be unlawful to shoot a rifle or pistol at wild birds or animals on or over the public inland waters of this Commonwealth; provided, however that licensed trappers may shoot a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or pistol on or over public inland waters for the purpose of dispatching a trapped animal. It shall be unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or pistol on a boat or other floating device on the public inland waters for the purpose of hunting wild birds and wild animals; provided, however, that unloaded rifles or pistols may be transported by boat from one point to another. Nothing in this regulation applies to department personnel conducting wildlife management activities on the public waters of the Commonwealth.

Statutory Authority

§§ 29.1-103, 29.1-501, and 29.1-502 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR325-02-25 § 4; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 6, eff. July 1, 2008.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.