Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 15. Department of Wildlife Resources
Chapter 420. Watercraft: Navigation Lights and Shapes

4VAC15-420-40. Power-driven vessels underway.

A. A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit:

1. A masthead light forward;

2. A second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 164 feet (50 meters) in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such light but may do so;

3. Sidelights; and

4. A sternlight.

B. An air-cushion vessel when operating in the nondisplacement mode shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in subsection A of this section, exhibit an all-round flashing yellow light where it can best be seen.

C. A power-driven vessel of less than 39.4 feet (12 meters) in length may, in lieu of the lights prescribed in subsection A of this section, exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

Statutory Authority

§§ 29.1-501, 29.1-502, 29.1-701, and 29.1-735 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 5, eff. January 1, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.