Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 5. Department of Conservation And Recreation
Chapter 30. Virginia State Parks Regulations

4VAC5-30-410. Importation of firewood.

A. The Director of the Department of Conservation and Recreation may prohibit the importation of firewood or certain types of firewood into any park or allow such entry only under specified conditions when such firewood may be infected or infested with a species of concern. Any firewood transported to the park by a person found to be in violation of such prohibition shall be confiscated and destroyed. Should any person charged under this section be found not guilty, the person shall be reimbursed for only the cost of the firewood.

B. When the director makes a written determination to implement subsection A of this section, the following minimum requirements apply:

1. Such determination shall be posted to the department's website and posted at the park where applicable.

2. Firewood to be used by any person within a park must be purchased from the park, must be proven to be from a certified source in accordance with subdivision 3 of this subsection if transported to the park, or may be collected from within the confines of the park in accordance with park policy. The department may allow for the sale or distribution of firewood within the park with prior written agreement that it has been treated in accordance with subdivision 3 of this subsection. Firewood includes all wood, processed or unprocessed, meant for use in a campfire. Such ban shall not include scrap building materials, such as two-by-fours, but may extend to wood pallets and other wood product packing materials as determined by the director.

3. Firewood certified to be sold and distributed within the park by a firewood dealer shall be subject to at least one of the following conditions:

a. Exclude all quarantined tree species from the firewood production area. Dealers will have to demonstrate ability to identify and separate firewood species.

b. Remove bark and outer half inch of sapwood off of all nonconiferous firewood.

c. Kiln dry all nonconiferous firewood to USDA specifications.

d. Heat treat all nonconiferous firewood to USDA specifications.

e. Fumigate all nonconiferous firewood to USDA specifications.

f. Offer conclusive proof demonstrating to the satisfaction of the department that the origin of the wood was from a noninfected area.

g. Offer conclusive proof demonstrating to the satisfaction of the department that the wood containing the infecting or infesting species of concern has been properly treated and the species is controlled by an alternative control mechanism.

The director may eliminate or restrict conditions offered in this subsection as determined to be necessary to properly address the infecting or infesting species of concern to the satisfaction of the department.

Statutory Authority

§ 10.1-104 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 26, Issue 11, eff. March 18, 2010; amended, Virginia Register Volume 36, Issue 1, eff. October 17, 2019; Volume 38, Issue 12, eff. March 2, 2022.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.