Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 6. Criminal Justice and Corrections
Agency 15. Department of Corrections
Chapter 40. Minimum Standards for Jails and Lockups

6VAC15-40-150. Inmate Exercise.

Written policy, procedure, and practice shall provide that all inmates have access to physical exercise. Facilities with specified exercise areas shall provide inmate exercise a minimum of one hour per week. Facilities without specified exercise areas shall provide equipment or an area within the dayroom for inmates to exercise large muscle groups on a daily basis. Shortage of staff shall not hinder inmate access to physical exercise. Exceptions for inclement weather or risk to security shall be documented.

Statutory Authority

§§ 53.1-5, 53.1-68, and 53.1-131 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR230-30-001 § 4.2, eff. April 1, 1987; amended, Volume 04, Issue 09, eff. April 1, 1988; Volume 07, Issue 12, eff. May 1, 1991; Volume 09, Issue 12, eff. May 1, 1993; Volume 11, Issue 21, eff. August 10, 1995; Volume 18, Issue 20, eff. July 17, 2002; Volume 29, Issue 04, eff. November 22, 2012.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.