Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 6. Criminal Justice And Corrections
Agency 15. Department Of Corrections
Chapter 81. Standards for Planning, Design, Construction, and Reimbursement of Local Correctional Facilities

6VAC15-81-1300. Standby power and emergency release provisions.

A. A standby power source shall be provided sufficient to sustain, as a minimum, life safety operations, security systems, refrigerators, and freezers.

1. "Life safety operations" means the function of certain electrical, mechanical, and other building equipment provided for the purpose of ensuring the life, health, and safety of building occupants in an emergency situation.

2. Fuel capacity shall be provided for a minimum of 72 hours of operation without refueling.

3. Consideration shall be given to standby power for nonemergency lighting.

B. Emergency release provisions shall be made for unlocking or group release of cell doors in case of fire, power failure, or other emergencies.

Statutory Authority

§§ 53.1-5, 53.1-80, and 53.1-82 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Volume 34, Issue 12, eff. March 8, 2018.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.