Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 6. Criminal Justice And Corrections
Agency 20. Department of Criminal Justice Services
Chapter 20. Rules Relating to Compulsory Minimum Training Standards for Law-Enforcement Officers

6VAC20-20-10. Definitions.

The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Academy director" means the chief administrative officer of a certified criminal justice training academy.

"Agency administrator" means any chief of police, sheriff, or agency head of a state or local law-enforcement agency.

"Approved training" means training approved by the department to meet minimum training standards.

"Board" means the Criminal Justice Services Board.

"Certified criminal justice training academy" means a training facility or campus in compliance with academy certification or recertification standards operated by the state or local units of government that is owned, leased, rented, or used exclusively for the purpose of training criminal justice professionals regulated by the department and board. Approved firing ranges, driving tracks, and defensive tactics training rooms are considered part of the academy facility, subject to review during academy certification and recertification.

"Committee on Training" or "COT" means the standing committee of the board that is charged with reviewing proposed changes to the standards, receiving and reviewing public comments, and approving changes to the standards as needed.

"Compulsory minimum training standards" means the written performance outcomes approved by the Committee on Training and the minimum training hours approved by the Criminal Justice Services Board.

"Curriculum Review Committee" or "CRC" means the committee consisting of nine individuals representing the certified criminal justice training academies. Four members of the committee shall represent regional criminal justice training academies, four members of the committee shall represent independent criminal justice training academies, and one member shall represent the Department of State Police Training Academy. The Committee on Training shall appoint members of the Curriculum Review Committee.

"Department" means the Department of Criminal Justice Services.

"Designee" means one who acts with the authority of the chief executive of the agency.

"Director" means the chief administrative officer of the department or the director's designee.

"External training location" means a training location approved by the department located away from the certified criminal justice training academy, which the certified criminal justice training academy uses to conduct mandated training using full-time and part-time academy staff with general instructorships.

"Requirements" means the core elements an officer needs to accomplish to obtain law-enforcement certification.

Statutory Authority

§ 9.1-102 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR240-01-1 § 1.0, eff. July 6, 1983; amended, Virginia Register Volume 14, Issue 8, eff. February 4, 1998; Volume 35, Issue 21, eff. July 1, 2019.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.