Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 8. Education
Agency 115. College of William And Mary; Richard Bland College
Chapter 40. Open Flames on Campus

8VAC115-40-20. Permit required for open burning and open flames; exceptions.

A. Open flames are prohibited on all university property, including within university buildings and facilities, except pursuant to a permit issued by the university.

B. Exceptions to the requirement for a permit are:

1. Activities taking place within the scope of academic coursework when under the supervision of the relevant faculty member;

2. Flames created for the transient purpose of lighting a cigarette, cigar, pipe, or similar smoking device, provided such activity is in an authorized location, such activity is otherwise lawful, and the burning or smoking elements are safely and responsibly disposed; and

3. Activities undertaken by university contractors whose contract has been approved by the office of Procurement Services and which contract authorizes open flames.

Statutory Authority

§ 23.1-1301 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 34, Issue 23, eff. June 21, 2018.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.