Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 20. Virginia Waste Management Board
Chapter 120. Regulated Medical Waste Management Regulations

9VAC20-120-850. Application and conditions.

Article 2
Variances to Requirements

The director may grant a variance from any regulation contained in Parts IV through X to a petitioner if the petitioner demonstrates to the satisfaction of the director that:

1. a. Strict application of the regulation to the facility will result in undue hardship that is caused by the petitioner's particular situation, or

b. Technical conditions exist that make a strict application of the regulation difficult to achieve, and

c. The alternate design or operation will result in a facility that is equally protective of the human health and the environment as that provided for in the regulations; and

2. Granting the variance will not result in an unreasonable risk to the public health or the environment.

Statutory Authority

Chapter 14 (§ 10.1-1400 et seq.) of Title 10.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR672-40-01:1 § 11.2, eff. June 29, 1994.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.