Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 25. State Water Control Board
Chapter 660. Virginia Water Protection General Permit for Impacts Less Than One-Half Acre

9VAC25-660-10. Definitions.

The words and terms used in this chapter shall have the meanings defined in the State Water Control Law (§ 62.1-44.2 et seq. of the Code of Virginia) and the Virginia Water Protection Permit Program Regulation (9VAC25-210) unless a different meaning is required by the context or is indicated below.

"Bank protection" means measures employed to stabilize channel banks and combat existing erosion problems. Such measures may include the construction of riprap revetments, sills, rock vanes, beach nourishment, breakwaters, bulkheads, groins, spurs, levees, marsh toe stabilization, anti-scouring devices, and submerged sills.

"Bioengineering method" means a biological measure incorporated into a facility design to benefit water quality and minimize adverse effects to aquatic resources, to the maximum extent practicable, for long-term aquatic resource protection and improvement.

"Board" means the State Water Control Board. When used outside the context of the promulgation of regulations, including regulations to establish general permits, "board" means the Department of Environmental Quality.

"Coverage" means authorization to conduct a project in accordance with a VWP general permit.

"DEQ" or "department" means the Department of Environmental Quality.

"Histosols" means organic soils that are often called mucks, peats, or mucky peats. The list of histosols in the Commonwealth includes, but is not limited to, the following soil series: Back Bay, Belhaven, Dorovan, Lanexa, Mattamuskeet, Mattan, Palms, Pamlico, Pungo, Pocaty, and Rappahannock. Histosols are identified in the Hydric Soils of the United States lists generated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service.

"Independent utility" means a test to determine what constitutes a single and complete project. A project is considered to have independent utility if it would be constructed absent the construction of other projects in the project area. Portions of a phased project that depend upon other phases of the project do not have independent utility. Portions of a phased project that would be constructed even if the other phases are not built can be considered as separate single and complete projects with independent public and economic utility.

"Less than one-half acre" means less than 0.50 acre (21,780 square feet).

"Notice of project completion" means a statement submitted by the permittee or authorized agent that the authorized activities and any required compensatory mitigation have been completed.

"Single and complete project" means the total project proposed or accomplished by a person, which also has independent utility, as defined in this section. For linear projects, the "single and complete project" (e.g., a single and complete crossing) will apply to each crossing of a separate surface water (e.g., a single water body) and to multiple crossings of the same water body at separate and distinct locations. Phases of a project that have independent public and economic utility may each be considered single and complete.

"State program general permit (SPGP)" means a general permit that is issued by the Department of the Army in accordance with 33 USC § 1344 and 33 CFR 325.5(c)(3) and that is founded on a state program. The SPGP is designed to avoid duplication between the federal and state programs.

"Up to 300 linear feet" means 300.00 linear feet or less, as measured along the center of the main channel of the stream segment.

"Up to one-tenth acre" means 0.10 acre (4,356 square feet) or less.

"Utility line" means a pipe or pipeline for the transportation of a gaseous, liquid, liquefiable or slurry substance, for any purpose, and a cable, line, or wire for the transmission for any purpose of electrical energy, telephone, and telegraph messages and radio and television communication. The term "utility line" does not include activities that drain a surface water to convert it to an upland, such as drainage tiles or french drains; however, it does apply to pipes conveying drainage from another area.

Statutory Authority

§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 401 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC § 1251 et seq.).

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 17, Issue 22, eff. October 1, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 8, eff. January 26, 2005; Volume 22, Issue 21, eff. August 1, 2006; Volume 24, Issue 9, eff. February 6, 2008; Volume 32, Issue 21, eff. August 2, 2016; Volume 39, Issue 4, eff. November 9, 2022.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.