Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 25. State Water Control Board
Chapter 790. Sewage Collection and Treatment Regulations

9VAC25-790-180. CTC.

A. Issuance. Upon approval of the proposed design by the area engineer, including any submitted plans and specifications, if required, the director will issue a CTC to the owner within 15 days of such approval to construct or modify his sewerage systems or treatment works in accordance with the approved design and submitted plans and specifications.

B. Revisions. Any deviations from the approved design or the submitted plans and specifications significantly (25% or more variation from original for sewerage systems or treatment works and 20% or more for biosolids use facilities) affecting hydraulic conditions (flow profile), unit operations capacity, the functioning of the sewage treatment process, or the quality of treated effluent discharged, must be approved by the area engineer before any such changes are made. Revised plans and specifications shall be submitted in time to allow 30 days for the review, evaluation and approval of such plans or specifications before any construction work that will be affected by such changes is begun, unless the owner has received approval to proceed from the department prior to either a formal submittal of revisions, or the department approval of submitted revisions.

C. Completion of construction. A statement shall be submitted by the owner assuring completion of construction and an inspection of the constructed system works will be scheduled in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

1. Upon completion of the construction or modification of the sewerage systems or treatment works, the owner shall submit to the area engineer a statement signed by a licensed professional engineer stating that the construction work was completed in accordance with the approved plans and specifications, or revised only in accordance with the provisions of subsection B of this section. This statement is called a Statement of Completion of Construction and shall be based upon inspections of the sewerage systems or treatment works during and after construction or modifications that are adequate to ensure the truth of the statement.

2. The owner shall contact the area engineer and request that a final inspection of the completed construction be made so that either a conditional, or a final, CTO can be issued. Within 30 days after placing a new or modified sewerage systems or treatment works into operation, the effluent produced should be sampled and tested in a manner sufficient to demonstrate compliance with approved specifications and permit requirements. The area engineer shall be notified of the time and place of the tests and the results of the tests shall be sent to the area engineer for evaluation as part of the final CTO.

3. A closure plan should be submitted with or prior to the statement of completion of construction in accordance with this chapter.

Statutory Authority

§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Former 12VAC5-581-230 derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 10, eff. February 27, 2002; amended and adopted as 9VAC25-790-180, Virginia Register Volume 20, Issue 9, eff. February 12, 2004; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 6, eff. January 1, 2008.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.