Administrative Code

Virginia Administrative Code

Part I. Definitions

18VAC160-30-10. Definitions.

A. Section 54.1-2300 of the Code of Virginia provides definitions of the following terms and phrases as used in this chapter:


"Onsite sewage system"



"Wastewater works"


B. The following words, terms, and phrases when used in this chapter shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Applicant" means an individual who submits an application with the appropriate fee and other required documentation.

"Application" means a completed, board-prescribed form submitted with the appropriate fee and other required documentation.

"Category" means a profession under the board's purview, which includes waterworks and wastewater works as applicable to the licensure of waterworks and wastewater works operators.

"Classification" means the division within each category of license as it relates to the classified facility. Class 1 represents the highest classification for each category of license.

"Contact hour" means 50 minutes of participation in a structured training activity.

"Department" means the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation.

"DEQ" means the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.

"Direct supervision" means being immediately available and fully responsible for the provision of waterworks and wastewater works operation regulated pursuant to Chapter 23 (§ 54.1-2300 et seq.) of Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia and this chapter.

"Direct supervisor" means a licensed waterworks or wastewater works operator who assumes the responsibility of direct supervision.

"Licensee" means an individual holding a valid license issued by the board.

"Licensure" means a method of regulation whereby the Commonwealth, through the issuance of a license, authorizes a person possessing the character and minimum skills to engage in the practice of a profession or occupation that is unlawful to practice without such license.

"Maintenance" or "maintain" means performing adjustments to equipment and controls and in-kind replacement of normal wear and tear parts such as light bulbs, fuses, filters, pumps, motors, or other like components. Maintenance includes pumping the tanks or cleaning the building sewer on a periodic basis.

"Operate" means the act of (i) placing into or taking out of service a unit process or unit processes or (ii) making or causing adjustments in the operation of a unit process at a waterworks or wastewater works.

"Renewal" means the process and requirements for periodically approving the continuance of a license.

"Training credit" means a unit of board-approved training or formal education completed by an individual that may be used to substitute for experience when applying for a license.

"Treatment works" means any device or system used in the storage, treatment, disposal, or reclamation of sewage or combinations of sewage and industrial wastes including pumping power and other equipment and appurtenances, septic tanks, and any works, including land, that are or will be (i) an integral part of the treatment processes or (ii) used for ultimate disposal or residues or effluent resulting from such treatment.

"VDH" means the Virginia Department of Health.

Statutory Authority

§§ 54.1-201 and 54.1-2301 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 33, Issue 11, eff. April 1, 2017.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.