Administrative Code

Virginia Administrative Code

Article 3. Characteristics

9VAC20-120-140. Characteristics of regulated medical waste.

Article 3

A solid waste is a regulated medical waste if it meets either of the two criteria of this section:

1. Any solid waste, as defined in this chapter is a regulated medical waste if it is suspected by the health care professional in charge of being capable of producing an infectious disease in humans. A solid waste shall be considered to be capable of producing an infectious disease if it has been or is likely to have been contaminated by an organism likely to be pathogenic to healthy humans, such organism is not routinely and freely available in the community, and if such organism has a significant probability of being present in sufficient quantities and with sufficient virulence to transmit disease. If the exact cause of a patient's illness is unknown, but the health care professional in charge suspects a contagious disease is the cause, the likelihood of pathogen transmission shall be assessed based on the pathogen suspected of being the cause of the illness.

2. Any solid waste that is not excluded from regulation is a regulated medical waste if it is listed in 9VAC20-120-150.

Statutory Authority

Chapter 14 (§ 10.1-1400 et seq.) of Title 10.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR672-40-01:1 § 3.7, eff. June 29, 1994.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.