Code of Virginia

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Code of Virginia
Title 2.2. Administration of Government
Chapter 11. Department of General Services

§ 2.2-1156. Sale or lease of surplus property and excess building space.

A. The Department shall identify real property assets that are surplus to the current and reasonably anticipated future needs of the Commonwealth and may dispose of surplus assets as provided in this section, except when a department, agency or institution notifies the Department of a need for property that has been declared surplus, and the Department finds that stated need to be valid and best satisfied by the use of the property.

B. After it determines the property to be surplus to the needs of the Commonwealth and that such property should be sold, the Department shall request the written opinion of the Secretary of Natural and Historic Resources as to whether the property is a significant component of the Commonwealth's natural or historic resources, and if so how those resources should be protected in the sale of the property. The Secretary of Natural and Historic Resources shall provide this review within 15 business days of receipt of full information from the Department.

C. Upon receipt of the Secretary's review under subsection B and prior to offering the surplus property for sale to the public, the Department shall notify the chief administrative officer of the locality within which the property is located as well as any economic development entity for such locality of the pending disposition of such property. The chief administrative officer or local economic development entity shall have up to 180 days from the date of such notification to submit a proposal to the Department for the use by the locality or the local economic development entity of such property in conjunction with a bona fide economic development activity. The Department shall review such proposal, and if the Department determines that such proposal is viable and could benefit the Commonwealth, the Department may negotiate with the chief administrative officer or the local economic development entity for the sale of such property to the locality or economic development entity. If no agreement is reached between the Department and the chief administrative officer or the local economic development entity for the sale of the property, or if no proposal for the use of the property is submitted to the Department by the chief administrative officer or the local economic development entity within 180 days of notification of the pending disposition of the property, the Department, with the prior, written approval of the Governor, may proceed to dispose of the property as provided in this section.

D. If the surplus property is not disposed of pursuant to subsection C, the sale shall be by public auction, or sealed bids, or by marketing through one or more real estate brokers licensed by the Commonwealth. Notice of the date, time and place of sale, if by public auction or sealed bids shall be given by advertisement in at least one newspaper published and having general circulation in the county or city in which the property to be sold is located and be posted on the Department's website. At least 30 days shall elapse between publication of the notice and the auction or the date on which sealed bids will be opened.

E. The Department may reject any and all bids or offers when, in the opinion of the Department, the price is inadequate in relation to the value of the property, the proposed terms are unacceptable, or if a need has been found for the property.

F. In lieu of the sale of any such property, or in the event the Department determines there is space within a building owned by the Commonwealth or any space leased by the Commonwealth in excess of current and reasonably anticipated needs, the Department may, with the approval of the Governor, lease or sublease such property or space to any responsible person, firm or corporation on such terms as shall be approved by the Governor, provided, however, that the authority herein to sublease space leased by the Commonwealth shall be subject to the terms of the original lease. The Department may with the approval of the Governor permit charitable organizations exempt from taxation under § 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that provide addiction recovery services to lease or sublease such property or space at cost and on such terms as shall be approved by the Governor, provided such use is deemed appropriate.

The Department shall post reports from the Commonwealth's statewide electronic procurement system, known as eVA, on the Department's website. The report shall include, at a minimum, current leasing opportunities and sales of surplus real property posted on the eVA's Virginia Business Opportunities website. Such reports shall also be made available by electronic subscription. The provisions of this section requiring disposition of property through the medium of sealed bids, public auction, or marketing through licensed real estate brokers shall not apply to any lease thereof, although such procedures may be followed in the discretion of the Department.

G. The deed, lease, or sublease conveying the property or excess space shall be executed in the name of the Commonwealth and shall be in a form approved by the Attorney General. Notwithstanding any law to the contrary and notwithstanding how title to the property was acquired, the deed or lease may be executed on behalf of the Commonwealth by the Director of the Department or his designee, and such action shall not create a cloud on the title to the property.

In the event that the Department determines that a boundary line of a surplus property requires adjustment, the Department may work with the adjacent landowner to adjust the boundary line and to transfer property to, or acquire property from, such adjacent landowner. In the event the Department determines that granting or accepting an easement over surplus property or the property of the adjacent landowner would facilitate the transfer of the surplus property, the Department may enter into any such easement on behalf of the department, agency, or institution in possession or control of the property, provided, however, that any such easement shall be in a form approved by the Attorney General and subject to the written approval of the Governor. The terms of the sale, lease, or sublease shall be subject to the written approval of the Governor.

H. An exception to sale by sealed bids, public auction, or listing the property with a licensed real estate broker may be granted by the Governor if the property is landlocked and inaccessible from a public road or highway. In such cases, the Department shall notify all adjacent landowners of the Commonwealth's desire to dispose of the property. After the notice has been given, the Department may begin negotiations for the sale of the property with each interested adjacent landowner. The Department, with the approval of the Governor, may accept any offer that it deems to be fair and adequate consideration for the property. In all cases, the offer shall be the best offer made by any adjacent landowner. The terms of all negotiations shall be public information.

I. Subject to any law to the contrary, 50 percent of the proceeds from all sales or leases, or from the conveyance of any interest in property under the provisions of this article, above the costs of the transaction, which costs shall include fees or commissions, if any, negotiated with and paid to auctioneers or real estate brokers, shall be paid into the State Park Acquisition and Development Fund, so long as the sales or leases pertain to general fund agencies or the property involved was originally acquired through the general fund, except as provided in Chapter 180 of the Acts of Assembly of 1966. The remaining 50 percent of proceeds involving general fund sales or leases, less a pro rata share of any costs of the transactions, shall be deposited in the general fund of the state treasury. The Department of Planning and Budget shall develop guidelines that allow, with the approval of the Governor, any portion of the deposit in the general fund to be credited to the agency, department or institution having control of the property at the time it was determined surplus to the Commonwealth's needs. Any amounts so credited to an agency, department or institution may be used, upon appropriation, to supplement maintenance reserve funds or capital project appropriations, or for the acquisition, construction or improvement of real property or facilities. Net proceeds from sales or leases of special fund agency properties or property acquired through a gift for a specific purpose shall be retained by the agency or used in accordance with the original terms of the gift. Notwithstanding the foregoing, income from leases or subleases above the cost of the transaction shall first be applied to rent under the original lease and to the cost of maintenance and operation of the property. The remaining funds shall be distributed as provided herein.

J. When the Department deems it to be in the best interests of the Commonwealth, it may, with the approval of the Governor, authorize the department, institution or agency in possession or control of the property to dispose of surplus property in accordance with the procedures set forth in this section.

1968, c. 717, § 2.1-106.7; 1970, c. 202; 1972, c. 763; 1977, c. 672, § 2.1-512; 1978, c. 545; 1981, c. 104; 1984, c. 641; 1989, c. 687; 1991, c. 679; 1995, c. 399; 1998, c. 466; 2001, c. 844; 2002, c. 281; 2004, c. 997; 2009, c. 612; 2011, cc. 659, 675; 2016, c. 291; 2018, c. 825; 2019, cc. 659, 660; 2021, Sp. Sess. I, c. 401; 2022, c. 761.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of this section may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.