Code of Virginia

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Code of Virginia
Title 38.2. Insurance
Chapter 18. Insurance Agents

§ 38.2-1845. Licensing nonresidents; reciprocal agreements with other states and Canadian provinces.

A. An individual or business entity who is not a resident as defined in § 38.2-1800, but who is a resident of another state, territory, or province of Canada, shall receive a nonresident insurance consultant license if:

1. The applicant presents proof in a form acceptable to the Commission that the applicant is currently licensed or otherwise authorized as a resident insurance consultant and is in good standing in his home state;

2. The applicant has submitted the proper application for licensure or a copy of the application for licensure submitted to his home state, and has paid the fees required by § 38.2-1838; and

3. The applicant's home state issues nonresident insurance consultant licenses to residents of this Commonwealth on the same basis, or will permit a resident of this Commonwealth to act as a consultant in such state without requiring a license.

B. For the purposes of this chapter, any individual whose place of residence and place of business are in a city or town located partly within the Commonwealth and partly within another state may be considered as meeting the requirements as a resident of this Commonwealth, provided the other state has established by law or regulation similar requirements as to residence of such individuals.

C. The Commission may enter into a reciprocal agreement with an appropriate official of any other state or province of Canada if such an agreement is required in order for a Virginia resident to be similarly licensed as a nonresident in that state or province.

D. The Commission may verify the insurance consultant's licensing status through the Producer Database maintained by the NAIC, its affiliates or subsidiaries.

E. A nonresident insurance consultant who moves from one state or province to another state or province shall file a change of address and provide a certification from the new home state or province within thirty calendar days of the change of legal residence. No fee or license application is required.

F. Any licenses issued to nonresidents pursuant to this section shall be terminated at any time that the nonresident's equivalent authority in his home state is terminated, suspended, or revoked.

1985, c. 3, § 38.1-327.70; 1986, c. 562; 1987, cc. 521, 678; 1988, c. 335; 2001, c. 706; 2008, c. 213.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of this section may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.