Code of Virginia

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Code of Virginia
Title 63.2. Welfare (Social Services)
Chapter 6. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program

§ 63.2-607. Eligibility for TANF; minor parent residency.

A. Except as provided in subsection B, an unemancipated minor custodial parent may receive TANF for himself and his child only if the individual and his child reside in the home maintained by his parent or person standing in loco parentis. For purposes of TANF eligibility determination, a minor who receives government-provided public assistance is not considered emancipated unless married.

B. The provisions of subsection A shall not apply if:

1. The individual has no parent or person standing in loco parentis who is living or whose whereabouts are known;

2. The local department determines that the physical or emotional health or safety of the individual or his dependent child would be jeopardized if the individual and dependent child lived in the same residence with the individual's parent or the person standing in loco parentis for the individual; or

3. The local department otherwise determines, in accordance with Board regulations, that there is good cause for waiving the requirements of subsection A.

C. If the individual and his dependent child are not required to live with the individual's parent or the person standing in loco parentis for the individual, the local department shall assist the individual in locating an appropriate adult supervised supportive living arrangement taking into consideration the needs and concerns of the minor and thereafter shall require that the individual and his child reside in such living arrangement or an alternative appropriate arrangement as a condition of the continued receipt of TANF. If the local department is unable, after making diligent efforts, to locate any such appropriate living arrangement, it shall provide case management and other social services consistent with the best interests of the individual and child who live independently.

1995, c. 450, § 63.1-105.6; 2002, c. 747.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of this section may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.