Code of Virginia

Code of Virginia
Title 2.2. Administration of Government
9/18/2018

Article 4. Procedures for Local Public Bodies.

§ 2.2-4382. Design-build or construction management contracts for local public bodies authorized.

A. Any local public body may enter into a contract for construction on a fixed price or not-to-exceed price construction management or design-build basis, provided that the local public body (i) complies with the requirements of this article and (ii) has by ordinance or resolution implemented procedures consistent with the procedures adopted by the Secretary of Administration for utilizing construction management or design-build contracts.

B. Prior to making a determination as to the use of construction management or design-build for a specific construction project, a local public body shall have in its employ or under contract a licensed architect or engineer with professional competence appropriate to the project who shall (i) advise such public body regarding the use of construction management or design-build for that project and (ii) assist such public body with the preparation of the Request for Proposal and the evaluation of such proposals.

C. A written determination shall be made in advance by the local public body that competitive sealed bidding is not practicable or fiscally advantageous, and such writing shall document the basis for the determination to utilize construction management or design-build. The determination shall be included in the Request for Qualifications and be maintained in the procurement file.

D. Procedures adopted by a local public body for construction management pursuant to this article shall include the following requirements:

1. Construction management contracts may be utilized for projects where the project cost is expected to be more than $10 million;

2. Construction management may be utilized on projects where the project cost is expected to be less than $10 million, provided that (i) the project is a complex project and (ii) the project procurement method is approved by the local governing body. The written approval of the governing body shall be maintained in the procurement file;

3. Public notice of the Request for Qualifications is posted on the Department's central electronic procurement website, known as eVA, at least 30 days prior to the date set for receipt of qualification proposals;

4. The construction management contract is entered into no later than the completion of the schematic phase of design, unless prohibited by authorization of funding restrictions;

5. Prior construction management or design-build experience or previous experience with the Department's Bureau of Capital Outlay Management shall not be required as a prerequisite for award of a contract. However, in the selection of a contractor, the local public body may consider the experience of each contractor on comparable projects;

6. Construction management contracts shall require that (i) no more than 10 percent of the construction work, as measured by the cost of the work, be performed by the construction manager with its own forces and (ii) the remaining 90 percent of the construction work, as measured by the cost of the work, be performed by subcontractors of the construction manager, which the construction manager shall procure by publicly advertised, competitive sealed bidding to the maximum extent practicable;

7. The procedures allow for a two-step competitive negotiation process; and

8. Price is a critical basis for award of the contract.

E. Procedures adopted by a local public body for design-build construction projects shall include a two-step competitive negotiation process consistent with the standards established by the Division of Engineering and Buildings of the Department for state public bodies.

2017, cc. 699, 704.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of these sections may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.

The Virginia General Assembly is offering access to the Code of Virginia on the Internet as a service to the public. We are unable to assist users of this service with legal questions nor respond to requests for legal advice or the application of the law to specific facts. Therefore, to understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.

The Code of Virginia online database excludes material copyrighted by the publisher, Michie, a division of Matthew Bender. Copyrighted material includes annotations and revisors' notes, which may be found in the print version of the Code of Virginia. Annotated print copies of the Code of Virginia are available in most Virginia public library systems, from LexisNexis (1-800-446-3410), and from West, a Thomson-Reuters business (1-800-344-5008).