Code of Virginia

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Code of Virginia
Title 63.2. Welfare (Social Services)
Chapter 18. Facilities and Programs

Article 2. Child Welfare Agencies.

§ 63.2-1809. Repealed.

Repealed effective July 1, 2021, by Acts 2020, cc. 860 and 861, cl. 2, as amended by Acts 2021, Sp. Sess. I, c. 446, cl. 2.

§ 63.2-1814. Public funds to be withheld for serious or persistent violations.

The Board and the State Board of Education may adopt policies, as permitted by state and federal law, to restrict the eligibility of a licensed child welfare agency to receive or continue to receive funds when such agency is found to be in serious or persistent violation of regulations.

1993, cc. 730, 742, § 63.1-211.2; 1996, c. 492; 2002, c. 747.

§ 63.2-1815. Repealed.

Repealed effective July 1, 2021, by Acts 2020, cc. 860 and 861, cl. 2, as amended by Acts 2021, Sp. Sess. I, c. 446, cl. 2.

§ 63.2-1816. Municipal and county appropriations; contracts.

The governing bodies of the several cities and counties of this Commonwealth may, in their discretion, appropriate to incorporated charitable organizations licensed by the Commissioner for the purpose of receiving and caring for children, or placing or boarding them in private homes, such sums as to them may seem proper, for the maintenance and care of such dependent children as the charitable organizations may receive from the respective cities and counties. The governing body of any county may make contracts with such organizations.

Code 1950, § 63-256; 1968, c. 578, § 63.1-219; 2002, c. 747.

§ 63.2-1817. Acceptance and control over children by licensed child-placing agency, children's residential facility or independent foster home.

A licensed child-placing agency, children's residential facility or independent foster home shall have the right to accept, for any purpose not contrary to the limitations contained in its license, such children as may be entrusted or committed to it by the parents, guardians, relatives or other persons having legal custody thereof, or committed by any court of competent jurisdiction. The agency, facility or home shall, within the terms of its license and the agreement or order by which such child is entrusted or committed to its care, have custody and control of every child so entrusted or committed and accepted, until he is lawfully discharged, has been adopted, or has attained his majority. An entrustment agreement for the termination of parental rights and responsibilities with respect to such child shall be executed in writing and notarized.

An agency that is licensed as a child-placing agency by the Department and certified as a proprietary school for students with disabilities by the Department of Education shall not be required to take custody of any child placed in its special education program but shall enter into a placement agreement with the parents or guardian of the child concerning the respective responsibilities of the agency and the parents or guardian for the care and control of the child. Such an agency shall conform with all other legal requirements of licensed child-placing agencies including the provisions of §§ 16.1-281 and 16.1-282.

A licensed private child-placing agency may accept placement of a child through an agreement with a local department where the local department retains legal custody of the child or where the parents or legal guardian of the child retain legal custody but have entered into a placement agreement with the local department or the public agency designated by the community policy and management team.

Whenever a licensed child-placing agency accepts legal custody of a child, the agency shall comply with §§ 16.1-281 and 16.1-282.

A children's residential facility licensed as a temporary emergency shelter may accept a child for placement provided that verbal agreement for placement is obtained from the parents, guardians, relatives or other persons having legal custody thereof, within eight hours of the child's arrival at the facility and provided that a written placement agreement is completed and signed by the legal guardian and the facility representative within 24 hours of the child's arrival or by the end of the next business day after the child's arrival.

2002, c. 747; 2004, c. 815.

§ 63.2-1818. Reports to Commissioner.

Upon the entry of a final order of adoption involving a child placed by a licensed child-placing agency, that agency shall transmit to the Commissioner all reports and collateral information in connection with the case which shall be preserved by the Commissioner in accordance with § 63.2-1246. Such agency may keep duplicate copies of such reports and collateral information or may obtain copies of such documents from the Commissioner at a reasonable fee as prescribed by the Board.

2002, c. 747.

§ 63.2-1819. Where child-placing agencies may place children.

Any licensed child-placing agency may place or negotiate and arrange for the placement of children in any licensed children's residential facility, and, unless its license contains a limitation to the contrary, a licensed child-placing agency may also place or arrange for the placement of such persons in any suitable foster home or independent living arrangement.

2002, c. 747; 2008, cc. 475, 483.