Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 11. Gaming
Agency 10. Virginia Racing Commission
Chapter 120. Claiming Races

11VAC10-120-20. Claiming certificate.

A person who does not hold a currently valid permit in Virginia or any other jurisdiction as an owner may apply for a claiming certificate. The following provisions shall apply to applicants for claiming certificates:

1. The applicant shall submit an application for a permit as an owner, pay the applicable fee, be photographed and fingerprinted as set forth in 11VAC10-60;

2. The applicant also shall submit a statement designating the trainer who will assume care and responsibility for the horse claimed;

3. The trainer named in the statement must be the holder of a currently valid permit issued by the commission;

4. The claiming certificate may be issued to the applicant which will be valid until the end of the race meeting during which it was approved, but it may be canceled by the stewards for cause; and

5. The applicant shall file the claiming certificate with the racing secretary indicating his eligibility to claim a horse.

Statutory Authority

§ 59.1-369 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR662-04-03 § 2, eff. August 14, 1991; amended, Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 23, eff. July 1, 2002.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.