Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 481. Virginia Radiation Protection Regulations

12VAC5-481-1690. Notifications.

A. Licensees shall provide the agency the following information for each individual no later than 30 days after the date that the licensee permits the individual to work as an authorized user, an authorized nuclear pharmacist, an ophthalmic physicist, or an authorized medical physicist:

1. A copy of (i) the board certification, (ii) the written attestation signed by a preceptor, and (iii) the NRC or another Agreement state license;

2. The permit issued by a NRC master material licensee;

3. The permit issued by a broad scope licensee;

4. The permit issued by a NRC master material broad scope permittee; or

5. Documentation that only accelerator-produced radioactive materials, discrete sources of radium-226, or both, were used for medical use or in the practice of nuclear pharmacy at a government agency or federally recognized Indian tribe before November 30, 2007, or at all other locations of use before August 8, 2009, or an earlier date as noticed by the NRC.

6. For individuals permitted to work within the 30-day time frame, the licensee shall also provide, as appropriate, verification of completion of:

a. Any additional case experience required in 12VAC5-481-1980 2 b (7) for an authorized user under 12VAC5-481-1950;

b. Any additional training required in 12VAC5-481-2040 A 4 for an authorized user under 12VAC5-481-2040 A; or

c. Any additional training required in 12VAC5-481-1760 A 3 for an authorized medical physicist.

B. A licensee shall notify the agency no later than 30 days after:

1. An authorized user, an authorized nuclear pharmacist, a radiation safety officer, an associate radiation safety officer, an ophthalmic physicist, or an authorized medical physicist permanently discontinues performance of duties under the license or has a name change;

2. The licensee permits an authorized user or an individual qualified to be a radiation safety officer, under 12VAC5-481-1750 and 12VAC5-481-1790, to function as a temporary radiation safety officer and to perform the functions of a radiation safety officer in accordance with 12VAC5-481-1700 C;

3. The licensee's mailing address changes;

4. The licensee's name changes, but the name change does not constitute a transfer of control of the license as described in 12VAC5-481-500 B; or

5. The licensee has added to or changed the areas of use identified in the application or on the license where radioactive material is used in accordance with either 12VAC5-481-1900 or 12VAC5-481-1920 if the change does not include addition or relocation of either an area where PET radionuclides are produced or a PET radioactive drug delivery line from the PET radionuclide/PET radioactive drug production area.

C. The licensee shall send the documents required in this section to the appropriate address identified in 12VAC5-481-150.

Statutory Authority

§ 32.1-229 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 22, Issue 25, eff. September 20, 2006; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 18, eff. June 12, 2008; Volume 32, Issue 24, eff. August 25, 2016; Volume 37, Issue 25, eff. January 14, 2022.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.