Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 14. Insurance
Agency 5. State Corporation Commission, Bureau of Insurance
Chapter 341. Rules Governing Standards for the Content of Dwelling Property Insurance Policies

14VAC5-341-30. Definitions.

The following words and terms when used in this chapter shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Actual cash value" means the amount equal to the replacement cost minus depreciation of damaged or stolen property at the time of the loss.

"Aircraft" means a machine or device capable of atmospheric flight, including hobby or model aircraft, drones, self-propelled missiles, and spacecraft.

"Business" means a trade, profession, or occupation whether full-time, part-time, or occasional activity, including (i) farming, (ii) the rental of the whole or a part of the residence premises by an insured, (iii) the business use of part of the residence premises, or (iv) home-sharing.

"Business" shall not include:

1. The occasional rental of the whole or a part of the residence premises for dwelling purposes;

2. The rental or holding for rental of a part of the residence premises for no more than two roomers or boarders for use as a primary residence;

3. The rental of a part of the residence premises as a private garage;

4. The rental of a part of the residence premises as an office, school, or studio; or

5. The insured's use of the residence premises for remote work under an agreement with the insured's employer.

"Commission" means the State Corporation Commission.

"Condominium unit" means a dwelling as defined in § 55.1-1900 of the Code of Virginia.

"Dwelling" means any residential structure specifically named in the policy.

"Farms" or "farming" means the use of land and buildings primarily for agricultural purposes with the objective of raising animals to produce food for sale or distribution to the public and growing crops for sale or distribution to the public.

"Fixtures" means permanently installed components of the dwelling or other structures including wells; plumbing systems; pumps; air conditioning equipment, systems, and parts; heating equipment, systems, and parts; hot water heaters; lighting systems; or built-in appliances and other components where removal would deface or damage the dwelling.

"Functional replacement cost" means the cost to repair or replace the damaged dwelling or other structures with less costly common construction materials and methods that are functionally equivalent to materials and methods used in the original construction.

"Home-sharing" means rental of the whole or a part of the residence premises for lodging purposes through an online-enabled application, website, or digital network during the policy term (i) for more than seven consecutive or random days or (ii) that generates revenue of more than $2,500. An individual occupying the residence premises through home-sharing is not a roomer, boarder, tenant, or guest.

"Hovercraft" means a self-propelled air cushioned vehicle that can travel over land and water.

"Insured" means (i) any person named as an insured in the policy, (ii) if residents of the named insured's household, the named insured's spouse if not a named insured, and relatives of either, and (iii) other persons younger than 21 years of age in the care of an insured.

"Motor vehicle" means a vehicle that is self-propelled or designed for self-propulsion and is designed or licensed for use on public roads.

"Occasional rental" means rental of the whole or a part of the residence premises for lodging purposes during a policy term (i) for seven or fewer consecutive or random days or (ii) that generates revenue of up to $2,500 . Occasional rental does not include home-sharing as defined in this section.

"Pollutant" means solid, liquid, gaseous, thermal, or radioactive irritants or contaminants, including acids, alkalis, chemicals, fumes, vapors, and waste.

"Recreational motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle designed for recreational use off public roads and not subject to motor vehicle registration.

"Replacement cost" means the cost to repair or replace the damaged or stolen property with material of like kind and quality without deduction for depreciation.

"Residence employee" means an employee of an insured who provides maintenance or domestic services for the residence premises.

"Residence premises" means the dwelling, other structures, and grounds at the location named in the policy.

"Theft" means an act of stealing or attempt to steal, including loss of property from a known place under circumstances when a probability of theft exists.

"Vacant" means a dwelling (i) that has not been occupied as a residence for more than 30 consecutive days immediately before a loss and (ii) where most of the named insured's personal property has been removed such that the dwelling is not functional as a customary place of residence. A dwelling is not occupied if the dwelling is being used without the permission of an insured. A dwelling under construction or being remodeled, repaired, or renovated is not vacant.

"Vandalism" or "malicious mischief" means the willful and malicious damage to or destruction of the property excluding loss by pilferage, theft, burglary, or larceny.

Statutory Authority

§§ 12.1-13, 38.2-223, and 38.2-2108 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 38, Issue 11, eff. January 1, 2022.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.