Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 16. Labor And Employment
Agency 15. Department of Labor And Industry
Chapter 40. Virginia Hours of Work for Minors

16VAC15-40-40. Hours of work in agricultural employment.

A. No minor under 16 years of age shall be employed, permitted or suffered to work in any occupation on farms, in gardens or in orchards during the hours that school is in session, except as provided in subsection B of this section.

B. No hours of work restrictions shall apply to a minor employed by his parent or a person standing in place of his parent on farms, in gardens or in orchards owned or operated by such parent or person.

C. No minor under 16 years of age shall be employed or permitted to work on farms, in gardens or in orchards for more than five hours continuously without an interval of at least 30 minutes for a lunch period, and no period of less than 30 minutes shall be deemed to interrupt a continuous period of work.

Statutory Authority

§§ 40.1-6(3) and 40.1-80.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR425-01-80 § 4, eff. July 17, 1991.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.