Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 18. Professional And Occupational Licensing
Agency 60. Board of Dentistry
Chapter 21. Regulations Governing the Practice of Dentistry

18VAC60-21-50. Scope of practice.

A. A dentist shall only treat based on a bona fide dentist-patient relationship for medicinal or therapeutic purposes within the course of his professional practice consistent with the definition of dentistry in § 54.1-2700 of the Code, the provisions for controlled substances in the Drug Control Act (Chapter 34 (§ 54.1-3400 et seq.) of Title 54.1 of the Code), and the general provisions for health practitioners in the Code. A bona fide dentist-patient relationship is established when examination and diagnosis of a patient is initiated.

B. For the purpose of prescribing controlled substances, the bona fide dentist-patient relationship shall be established in accordance with § 54.1-3303 of the Code.

Statutory Authority

§ 54.1-2400 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 32, Issue 5, eff. December 2, 2015; Errata, 32:6 VA.R. 1132 November 16, 2015.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.