Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 20. Public Utilities And Telecommunications
Agency 5. State Corporation Commission
Chapter 309. Rules for Enforcement of the Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act

20VAC5-309-200. Reporting damage by calling 911.

In the event that damage to an underground utility line results in the escape of any flammable, toxic, hazardous, or corrosive gas or liquid, the excavator shall, in addition to complying with § 56-265.24 D and E of the Code of Virginia, promptly report the damage to the appropriate authorities by calling the 911 or official emergency telephone number if 911 service is unavailable for any reason. The excavator shall remain at or near the site of the damage, at a safe distance from the escape of any flammable, toxic, hazardous, or corrosive gas or liquid and shall make contact with the utility line operator upon arrival on site.

Statutory Authority

§§ 12.1-13 and 56-265.30 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 29, Issue 4, eff. October 1, 2012; amended, Virginia Register Volume 40, Issue 16, eff. April 1, 2024.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.