Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 24. Transportation And Motor Vehicles
Agency 30. Department of Transportation
Chapter 41. Rules and Regulations Governing Relocation Assistance

24VAC30-41-230. General.

A. The operator of a displaced business, farm or nonprofit organization is entitled to receive payment for the following categories of actual costs associated with moving:

1. Moving costs for relocating all personal property including machinery, equipment and fixtures and disconnect/reconnect costs;

2. Search costs for a replacement location not to exceed $2,500; and

3. Reestablishment expenses not to exceed $25,000.

All moving expenses will be actual and reasonable. To assure this, the district office will monitor the process of conducting inventories, developing move specifications, securing commercial moving bids and estimates and observing the conduct of the move. Emphasis will be directed toward moves that are of a complicated nature or involve a substantial expenditure.

B. As an alternative to the actual cost reimbursement as explained above, the displaced business, farm or nonprofit organization that meets certain criteria may choose to receive a fixed payment in lieu of actual moving expenses not less than $1,000 or more than $75,000. The specific amount is based on the net income of the displaced business, farm or nonprofit organization.

The reimbursable actual moving expenses and the fixed payment in lieu of moving expenses are explained in detail in the remainder of this part.

C. The displaced business, farm, or nonprofit organization is required to file a written application, Form RW-60B with VDOT and obtain approval prior to the date on which the move is to be accomplished. After the move has been completed, the displacee must complete and submit a relocation certification claim, Form RW-67B, within 18 months after the later of the following dates:

1. The date the displacee moves from the real property, or moves personal property from real property; or

2. The date of acquisition.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.; 49 CFR Part 24.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 13, eff. April 6, 2005; Volume 22, Issue 21, eff. July 26, 2006.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.