Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 24. Transportation And Motor Vehicles
Agency 30. Department of Transportation
Chapter 41. Rules and Regulations Governing Relocation Assistance

24VAC30-41-290. Actual direct losses of tangible personal property.

A. Actual, direct losses of tangible personal property are allowed when a person who is displaced from a business, farm or nonprofit organization is entitled to relocate such property but elects not to do so. This may occur if an item of equipment is bulky and expensive to move, but is obsolete and the owner desires to replace it with a new item that performs the same function. Payments for actual, direct losses can be made only after an effort has been made by the owner to sell the item involved. When the item is sold, payment will be determined in accordance with subsection B or C of this section. If the item cannot be sold, the owner will be compensated in accordance with subsection D of this section. The sales prices and the cost of advertising and conducting the sale, must be supported by copies of bills, receipts, advertisements, offers to sell, auction records and other data supporting the bona fide nature of the sale.

B. If an item of personal property which is used in connection with the business is not moved but is replaced with a comparable item at the new location, the payment will be the lesser of:

1. The replacement cost minus the net proceeds of the sale. Trade-in value may be substituted for net proceeds of sale where applicable; or

2. The estimated cost of moving the item to the replacement site but not to exceed 50 miles.

C. If the item is not to be replaced in the reestablished business, the payment will be the lesser of:

1. The difference between the market value of the item in place for continued use at its location prior to displacement less its net proceeds of the sale; or

2. The estimated cost of moving the item to the replacement site but not to exceed 50 miles. (See "Guidance Document for Determination of Certain Financial Benefits for Displacees," effective October 1, 2014, for example.)

D. If a sale is not effected under subsection B or C of this section because no offer is received for the property and the property is abandoned, payment for the actual direct loss of that item may not be more than the fair market value of the item for continued use at its location prior to displacement or the estimated cost of moving the item 50 miles, whichever is less, plus the cost of the attempted sale, irrespective of the cost to VDOT of removing the item.

E. The owner will not be entitled to moving expenses or losses for the items involved if the property is abandoned with no effort being made to dispose of it by sale, or by removal at no cost. The district manager may allow exceptions to this requirement for good cause.

F. The cost of removal of personal property by VDOT will not be considered as an offsetting charge against other payments to the displaced person.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.; 49 CFR Part 24.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 13, eff. April 6, 2005; Volume 22, Issue 21, eff. July 26, 2006; Volume 30, Issue 26, eff. October 1, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.