Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 15. Department of Wildlife Resources
Chapter 40. Game: In General

4VAC15-40-200. Restricted use of above ground body-gripping traps in excess of five inches.

It shall be unlawful to set above the ground any body-gripping trap with a jaw spread in excess of five inches when using any bait, lure, or scent; provided, that baited body gripping traps with a jaw spread up to 7-1/2 inches may be used when the trap is within an enclosure with openings no greater than 60 square inches and the trap trigger is recessed at least 12 inches from all openings; provided further that such traps must be staked to prevent them from turning over and may only be used on private lands with written permission of the landowner.

Statutory Authority

§§ 29.1-501 and 29.1-502 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR325-02-1 § 19, eff. July 1, 1978; amended, Virginia Register Volume 10, Issue 23, eff. September 8, 1994; Volume 11, Issue 9, eff. February 22, 1995; Volume 22, Issue 19, eff. July 1, 2006; Volume 27, Issue 23, eff. July 1, 2011.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.