Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 15. Department of Wildlife Resources
Chapter 430. Watercraft: Safety Equipment Requirements

4VAC15-430-80. Visual distress signals required.

A. It shall be unlawful to use a vessel 16 feet or more in length or any boat carrying six or less passengers for consideration on the coastal waters as defined in 4VAC15-430-20 unless visual distress signals selected from the list in 4VAC15-430-120 or the alternatives in 4VAC15-430-130, in the number required, are on board. Devices suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use, or devices suitable for both day and night use, must be carried.

B. Between sunset and sunrise, it shall be unlawful to use a vessel less than 16 feet in length on the coastal waters unless visual distress signals suitable for night use, selected from the list in 4VAC15-430-120 or 4VAC15-430-130, in the number required, are on board.

Statutory Authority

§§ 29.1-501, 29.1-502, 29.1-701, and 29.1-735 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 5, eff. January 1, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.