Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 20. Marine Resources Commission
Chapter 1310. Pertaining to Jonah Crab

4VAC20-1310-20. Definition.

The following words or terms when used in this chapter shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Carapace" means the unsegmented body shell of a Jonah crab.

"Carapace length" means the straight line measurement across the widest part of the shell including the tips of the posterior-most, longest spines along the lateral margins of the carapace.

"Claw length" means the straight line measurement along the bottom of the claw from the joint to the lower tip of the claw.

"Jonah crab" means any crustacean of the species Cancer borealis.

"Target species" means those species primarily sought by the fishermen in the fishery and that are the subject of directed fishing effort.

Statutory Authority

§ 28.2-201 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 32, Issue 21, eff. June 1, 2016; amended, Virginia Register Volume 36, Issue 15, eff. March 1, 2020.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.