Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 20. Marine Resources Commission
Chapter 540. Pertaining to Spanish and King Mackerel

4VAC20-540-30. Recreational possession limits.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person fishing with hook-and-line, hand line, rod and reel, spear, gig, or other recreational gear to possess more than 15 Spanish mackerel or more than three king mackerel.

B. When fishing from a boat or vessel where the entire catch is held in a common hold or container, the possession limits shall be for the boat or vessel and shall be equal to the number of persons on board legally eligible to fish multiplied by 15 for Spanish mackerel or multiplied by three for king mackerel. The captain or operator of the boat or vessel shall be responsible for any boat or vessel possession limit.

Statutory Authority

§ 28.2-201 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR450-01-0070 § 3, Virginia Register Volume 11, Issue 17, eff. April 14, 1995; amended, Virginia Register Volume 17, Issue 5, eff. January 1, 2001; Volume 37, Issue 2, eff. September 1, 2020.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.