Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 6. Criminal Justice And Corrections
Agency 15. State Board of Local and Regional Jails
Chapter 81. Standards for Planning, Design, Construction, and Reimbursement of Local Correctional Facilities

6VAC15-81-1070. Food, paper, and medicine passes.

A. A pass for food and medicine shall be installed in all maximum security cell doors. For purposes of this requirement, holding, intake, maximum security housing, classification, and special purpose cells are considered maximum security.

B. A pass for food shall be installed in a wall or inner sally port door of each housing unit. The food pass shall be lockable and operable from the sally port interior and shall not interfere with the operation of the door.

C. Locking passes shall be installed with the lock and fold down shelf on the side of the door or wall away from the inmates.

D. The size of a food or medicine pass shall be no more than five inches high and at least 15 inches wide or designed to facilitate passage of trays to be used. Food passes shall be installed at a maximum height of 36 inches to the top of the opening.

E. A minimum of a paper pass shall be installed from each control room to the adjoining corridor.

Statutory Authority

§§ 53.1-5, 53.1-80, and 53.1-82 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 34, Issue 12, eff. March 8, 2018.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.