Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 25. State Water Control Board
Chapter 790. Sewage Collection and Treatment Regulations

9VAC25-790-240. Compliance with Part III (9VAC25-790-310 et seq.--Manual of Practice) of this chapter.

A. The design guidelines set forth in Part III (9VAC25-790-310 et seq.) of this chapter specify general criteria and minimum standards for the design and construction of sewerage systems and treatment works and are not intended to be used as a substitute for engineering experience and judgment used in accordance with standards of practice.

B. Additional standards. The director may impose standards and requirements which are more stringent than those contained in Part III of this chapter when required for critical areas or special conditions. Any such special standards and requirements including those associated with a State Revolving Loan program shall take precedence over the criteria in Part III of this chapter and will be items that warrant careful consideration at the preliminary engineering conference referenced in this chapter. Designs submitted for sewerage systems or treatment works must demonstrate that the system or works will adequately safeguard public health and welfare and will comply with the CTO and VPDES or VPA permit requirements, as appropriate.

C. Substantial compliance. Submissions that are in substantial compliance with Part III (9VAC25-790-310 et seq.) of this chapter or additional requirements of the department as noted above will be approved. Justification for a design may be required for those portions of the submitted design which differ from these criteria. The design engineer shall identify and justify noncompliance with specific design standards or "shall" criteria that the department identifies, or that the design engineer, in his judgment, believes to be substantial in nature. The department may request changes in designs that are not in substantial compliance with Part III of this chapter and that are not adequately justified by the engineer/owner.

D. Exceptions. Compliance with Part III of this chapter will not be required for sewerage systems or treatment works that have received the approval of the Virginia Department of Health and the board and on which modifications and construction have been commenced prior to February 27, 2002, or January 1, 2008, for biosolids use facilities. Construction or modification of sewerage systems or treatment works is deemed to be commenced for purposes of this chapter upon receipt of complete final engineering documents by the area engineer. The fact that significant work was accomplished on a specific project prior to adoption of this chapter and standards contained in this chapter shall be a consideration when evaluating applications.

Statutory Authority

§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Former 12VAC5-581-3000 derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 10, eff. February 27, 2002; amended and adopted as 9VAC25-790-240, Virginia Register Volume 20, Issue 9, eff. February 12, 2004; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 6, eff. January 1, 2008.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.