Administrative Code

Virginia Administrative Code

Part V. Moving Costs -- Residential Moves

24VAC30-41-200. General.

A. A displaced individual or family is entitled to receive a payment for moving personal property. The displacee has the option of a payment based upon the actual reasonable moving expenses (commercial move or self-move), a fixed payment that is based on VDOT's room count schedule, or, in unusual circumstances, any combination of the above. An example of such a circumstance would be to have a commercial mover that will move the household items, but will not move certain personal property stored in a shed. The displacee can remove the items from the shed as a self-move.

B. The displacee is required to file a written application, Form RW-60A with VDOT and obtain approval prior to the date on which the move is to be accomplished. After the move has been completed, the displacee must complete and submit a relocation certification claim, Form RW-67A, within 18 months after the later of the following dates:

1. The date the displacee moves from the real property, or moves personal property from real property; or

2. The date of acquisition.

C. For relocation program purposes, a "family" is defined as two or more persons who share the same dwelling unit. Two or more occupants who share the same dwelling unit before displacement may relocate into separate units. If the move to separate units results from unavailability of units that will accommodate all persons, the occupants may each be reimbursed either on an actual cost basis or on a schedule move, which includes a dislocation allowance for each family. When the move into separate dwelling units is a voluntary decision and a single comparable dwelling unit is available, they may be reimbursed on a prorated share of the estimated cost of a single move as determined by VDOT. Alternatively, schedule move payments will be based on the number of rooms actually occupied by each family plus community rooms utilized by each family.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001.

24VAC30-41-210. Actual reasonable moving expenses.

A. Move performed by commercial mover.

1. If a displaced individual or family desires to have a move performed by a commercial mover, the assigned relocation agent will obtain bids or estimates from two reputable moving companies. VDOT may pay the cost of obtaining bids or estimates, if approved by the district manager. VDOT will retain the right to reject any and all bids. The agent will also assure that all bids or estimates received are based upon the same move specifications and personal property inventory. The maximum payment will be the amount of the lowest acceptable bid or estimate. Since the displaced individual or family has the right to engage the services of any company, VDOT will pay the amount of receipted bills, but not to exceed the amount of the approved low bid or estimate.

2. If the actual cost of the move exceeds the estimated amount, the excess amount may be paid, if sufficient documentation is presented with the claim and the district recommends payment.

3. The displacee may present an unpaid mover's bill, along with the moving cost claim form, to VDOT for direct payment to the mover.

B. Self-move. An actual cost move may be carried out by the displacee in a self-move for actual, reasonable, and necessary costs expended. The relocation staff should work with the displacee to determine an amount necessary to move the personal property. The displacee may be reimbursed for time spent in moving. The hourly rate of the displacee's time should be reasonable and should not exceed the rates paid to skilled packers and movers of local moving firms. Receipts or other evidence of expenses are necessary for reimbursement. Displacees may not move themselves based on the cost of a commercial move.

C. Reimbursable costs include:

1. Transportation of personal property not to exceed 50 miles.

2. Transportation of persons up to 50 miles, at a mileage rate determined by VDOT, or actual reasonable cost. Special transportation, such as an ambulance for infirm displacees, may also be approved.

3. Packing, crating, unpacking and uncrating of the personal property.

4. Disconnecting, dismantling, removing, reassembling and reinstalling relocated household appliances and other personal property.

5. Storage of the personal property for a period not to exceed 12 months, unless the district office determines that a longer period is necessary. Storage costs cannot be paid if the storage site is a part of the acquired property or other property owned, leased or controlled by the displacee.

6. Insurance for the replacement value of the property in connection with the move and necessary storage.

7. The replacement value of property lost, stolen or damaged in the process of moving (through no fault or negligence of the displaced person, or an agent or employee of the displaced person) when insurance covering such loss, theft or damage is not reasonably available.

D. The following costs are ineligible for reimbursement as residential move expenses:

1. The cost of moving any structure or other real property improvement in which the displaced person reserved ownership;

2. Interest on a loan to cover moving expenses;

3. Personal injury;

4. Expenses for searching for a replacement dwelling;

5. Additional expenses of living in a new location; and

6. Refundable security and utility deposits.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 13, eff. April 6, 2005.

24VAC30-41-220. Moving expense schedule.

A. In lieu of a payment for actual costs, a displaced person or family who occupies the acquired dwelling may choose to be reimbursed for moving costs based on a moving expense schedule established by VDOT based on a room count. The schedule is revised periodically, based on a survey of movers, to reflect current costs. The schedule is used by all acquiring agencies throughout the state by agreement coordinated by the Federal Highway Administration.

The room count used will include occupied rooms within the dwelling unit plus personal property located in attics, unfinished basements, garages and outbuildings, or significant outdoor storage. Spaces included in the count must contain sufficient personal property as to constitute a room.

B. A person with minimal personal possessions who is in occupancy of a dormitory style room shared by two or more other unrelated persons, or if the move is performed by VDOT at no cost to the person, shall be limited to $50.

C. The cost to move a retained dwelling, any other structure, or any item determined to be real estate prior to the move, is not a reimbursable moving cost. However, if an owner-occupant retains the dwelling, including a mobile home, and chooses to use it as a means of moving personal belongings and furnishings, the owner-occupant may receive a moving cost payment based upon the moving expense schedule.

D. A discussion of residential move reimbursement options is contained in the "Guidance Document for Determination of Certain Financial Benefits to Displacees," effective October 1, 2014.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.; 49 CFR Part 24.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 13, eff. April 6, 2005; Volume 22, Issue 21, eff. July 26, 2006; Volume 30, Issue 26, eff. October 1, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.