Code of Virginia

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Code of Virginia
Title 65.2. Workers' Compensation
Chapter 5. Compensation and Payment Thereof

§ 65.2-525. Who may receive payment and receipt therefor.

A. Whenever payment of compensation is made to a surviving spouse or parent for his use, or for his use and the use of a minor child, or the use of a minor child and such payments are made in the form of periodic weekly, monthly or quarterly payments, the written receipt thereof of such surviving spouse or parent shall acquit the employer. The Commission, however, may require annual written certifications from the surviving spouse or parent confirming that the portion of such payments for the benefit of the minor child has been used for the benefit of such minor child.

B. Whenever payment is made to any person eighteen years of age or over, the written receipt of such person shall acquit the employer. If a minor shall be entitled to receive a lump sum payment amounting to not more than $15,000 as compensation for injuries, or as a distributive share by virtue of this title, the parent or natural guardian upon whom such minor shall be dependent for support shall be authorized and empowered to receive and give receipt for such moneys to the same extent as a guardian of the person and property of such minor duly appointed by proper court, and the release or discharge of such parent or natural guardian shall be a full and complete discharge of all claims or demands of such minor thereunder.

C. Whenever any lump sum payment greater than $15,000 is due to a minor or to an incapacitated person as defined in § 64.2-2000, the same shall be made to the guardian of the property of such minor or the conservator of such incapacitated adult or, if there is none, to some suitable person or corporation appointed by the circuit court as a trustee, and the receipt of such trustee shall acquit the employer.

Code 1950, § 65-73; 1968, c. 660, § 65.1-76; 1972, c. 825; 1973, c. 401; 1991, c. 355; 1997, c. 921; 1998, c. 94; 2002, c. 301.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of this section may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.