Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 610. Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations

12VAC5-610-591. Overview.

General Criteria for the Selection of a Wastewater Treatment and Disposal System Based on Site Conditions

Article 1

Site Limitations

The intent of this part is to provide guidance on how to match various treatment and dispersal systems to site-specific conditions in order to construct a safe, proper, and adequate sewage system for the site under consideration. Article 1 (12VAC5-610-591 et seq.) identifies site conditions which limit or prohibit the use of onsite systems. Article 2 (12VAC5-610-594 et seq.) establishes criteria for the use of systems that rely on naturally occurring undisturbed soils to treat and disperse effluent, with or without pretreatment. Article 3 (12VAC5-610-597 et seq.) establishes criteria for the use of systems which rely on fill soils to accomplish treatment prior to dispersal.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-164 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 16, Issue 16, eff. July 1, 2000.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.