Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 20. Public Utilities and Telecommunications
Agency 5. State Corporation Commission
Chapter 429. Rules Governing Compensation, Numbering, Interconnection, and Other Local Inter-Carrier Matters

20VAC5-429-40. Number Portability and Number Assignment.

A. Consumers shall have the ability to retain the same telephone number if they remain in the same geographic area where the NXX is normally provided, regardless of their chosen local exchange carrier.

B. True number portability shall be made available when technically and economically feasible.

C. Interim number portability arrangements shall be utilized until true number portability is available.

D. To the extent feasible, the ILEC shall provide new entrants with reservations for a reasonably sufficient block of numbers for their use.

E. LECs shall not charge for porting a customer's telephone number when the customer changes local exchange carriers.

Statutory Authority

§§ 12.1-13 and 56-265.4:4 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Volume 19, Issue 17, eff. April 10, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.