Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 24. Transportation And Motor Vehicles
Agency 30. Department of Transportation
Chapter 41. Rules and Regulations Governing Relocation Assistance

24VAC30-41-360. Requirements to receive payment.

A. In addition to length of occupancy provisions, the displaced person must occupy a decent, safe and sanitary dwelling, as defined in 24VAC30-41-30, within one year, beginning on the following dates:

1. Owner-occupant of 90 days or more. The date on which the owner received payment of the entire consideration for the acquired dwelling in negotiated settlements, or in the case of condemnation, the date on which the certificate was filed and the amount set forth in the certificate was made available for the benefit of the owner.

2. Tenant-occupant of 90 days or more. The date on which the move occurs. An occupancy affidavit (Form RW-62C) shall be secured as evidence of occupancy.

A displaced person who cannot occupy the replacement dwelling within the one-year time period because of construction delays beyond reasonable control, will be considered to have purchased and occupied the dwelling as of the date of the contract to purchase. The replacement housing payment under these conditions may be deferred until replacement housing is actually occupied.

B. Upon relocating, the displacee must properly complete the appropriate application, Library Form RW-65A(1), RW-65B(1), or RW-65C(1) to receive a replacement housing payment and submit them to the district manager. The application must be filed no later than six months after the expiration of the one-year period specified in subdivisions A 1 and A 2 of this section. In condemnation cases the one-year period is extended to six months after final adjudication. The district office must stamp the application to show the date of its receipt. Where husband and wife both hold title to the property, or there is more than one owner-occupant, each owner must sign the application for payment. In the case of tenant-occupants, each must sign the application for payment.

C. The payment may be made directly to the displaced persons whose names are on the application for payment. On written instruction from a tenant-displacee, payment may be made to the lessor for rent. For an owner, payment may be made to the seller or lending agency at closing on the replacement property. If payment is made at closing, it will be personally delivered by a district office employee who will remain present to assure that the full purchase supplement amount is credited to the purchase of the replacement dwelling. If this is performed, the occupancy requirement will be considered met at the completion of closing, providing an occupancy agreement has been signed.

Statutory Authority

§ 25.1-402 of the Code of Virginia; 42 USC § 4601 et seq.; 49 CFR Part 24.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 3, eff. November 21, 2001; amended, Virginia Register Volume 30, Issue 26, eff. October 1, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.